On this page, I attempt to keep an updated list of media appearances, big or small; basic income related or not; audio, video, or text; starting with the most recent. It’s not exhaustive, but it’s extensive.
- Interview by Enno Schmidt with Prof. Dr. Karl Widerquist on basic income issues. Enno Schmidt, Freiburg Institute for Basic Income Studies, Oct 1, 2021
- UBI – How much should it be and how do we pay for it? Michael Baxter, Techopian Meets, September 19, 2021
–Reposted as Universal basic income; what level should it be at how do we fund it? Michael Baxter, Techopian, September 19, 2021
- Universal Basic Income and Property Rights. Interview of Karl Widerquist by Sam Barton. Talk of Today Podcast. YouTube, Aug 6, 2021
- UBI and the Dignity of Work. By Techopian Team, Techopian, August 3, 2021
- Why is Universal Basic Income a good idea? Techopian Meets YouTube Channel, July 14, 2021
- The Prehistory of Private Property (video 49:00). By Karl Widerquist, Session 8: Why Private Property? II Conference, Centre de théorie politique, June 25, 2021
- American workers are refusing to take bad jobs — and that’s good for everyone, economists say. By Matthew Rozsa, Salon.com, June 19, 2021
- Economic and Ethical Arguments for Basic income (video 45:54). Session from the North American Basic Income Guarantee Congress. Speakers: Alex Howlett, Karl Widerquist. Moderator, Michael Howard, June 18, 2021
- Lessons From Alaska (video 1:02:15). Presentation by Karl Widerquist followed by panel discussion with Cliff Groh, Michael Howard, and Bethany Anne Burum. Moderated by Alex Howlett. Boston Basic Income #156, June 16, 2021
- Community & Technology (video 58:21). Panel Discussion with Stu Reid, Diana Blackwell, Enno Schmidt, Ruth Westcott, and Karl Widerquist. StreamingUniversity, June 16, 2021
- My Yang Gang Diary (video 1:20:30). Juhl Media Documentary, June 15, 2021
- Introduction to Indepentarianism (video 52:05). Karl Widerquist explaining his research to a class in Contemporary Political Thought. YouTube, recorded February 21, 2021, posted June 13, 2021
- Essential California: A growing enthusiasm for basic income programs. By Jaclyn Cosgrove, The Los Angeles Times, June 4, 2021
- A Critical Analysis of Basic Income Experiments: Presentation and Discussion of the Book (audio 1:15:17). By Karl Widerquist, Karl Widerquist YouTube Channel, recorded April 9, 2019 at Georgetown University-Qatar, posted May 27, 2021
- The Case for Universal Basic Income in Six Minutes (video). By Karl Widerquist. YouTube, 24 May 2021
- Unconditional Basic Income: Can we afford it? Seminar hosted by Catarina Neves, presentations by Karl Widerquist and Pedro Teixeira, discussion by Filipe Duarte and Susana Peralta. University of Minho and Nova School of Business and Economics Policy Knowledge Center, May 20, 2021
–Reposted on YouTube (Video 2:07:16)
- Dan Schneider Video Interview #312 (video). Interview of Karl Widerquist by Dan Schneider, Cosmoetica, YouTube, May 19, 2021
- The Case for Five New States. By Karl Widerquist, OpenDemocracy, May 5, 2021
- Why Private Property Conference – Final Roundtable (audio). With Karl Widerquist, Hillel Steiner, and Jean-Fabien Spitz. Recorded June 21, 2017, posted April 28, 2021 (Audio)
- The Prehistory Of Private Property with Karl Widerquist. Interview by Austin Mackell, Fair Go – Australian Basic Income Discussion Group, April 7, 2021 (video, 1:32:40)
–Basic Income, Social Justice, and the Power to Say NO. Posted May 2, 2021 (video excerpt, 3:24)
–The “Mutual” Advantage of Private Property: Whose Reality? Posted May 9, 2021 (video excerpt, 7:57)
–Basic Income: A *Realistic* Means of Production: Karl Widerquist answers the question, is giving people direct access to the land a reasonable alternative to Basic Income. Posted May 16, 2021 (video excerpt, 3:14)
–The Imposition of the Property System: An Outline. Fair Go Australian Basic Income Discussion Group, posted May 23, 2021 (video excerpt 12:09)
–Can Leftists Speak of Liberty? Fair Go Australian Basic Income Discussion Group, post May 30, 2021 (video excerpt 3:38)
- Basic Income and Automation (video 1:20:42). Session at the 2019 NABIG Congress). USBIG—official YouTube Channel. Filmed June 16, 2019, posted March 31, 2021
- A Global Look at Universal Basic Income with Karl Widerquist (audio 38:38). Interview by John Torpey for the International Horizons Podcast – Ralph Bunche Institute. March 29, 2021 (Audio with transcript)
-Also available on YouTube (video 28:38)
- Karl Widerquist: Top podcast episodes. Listen Notes, March 29, 2021
- Coalition responds to Geingob’s Basic Income Grant claims. By Basic Income Grant (BIG) Coalition of Namibia, Namibian Economist, March 26, 2021What could Trump do to tank the economy out of vengeance? What Republicans have done for years. By Matthew Rozsa. Salon.com, November 28, 2020
- There are economic reasons that Trump’s coup attempt won’t work, experts say. By Matthew Rozsa, Salon.com, November 16, 2020
Preprinted by Alternet.org, November 17, 2020
- Pourquoi je marche pour le Revenu de Base. By Karl Widerquist. Translation by Pierre Madden, Revenu de Base Villeray, November 8, 2020
- Presidents presiding over recessions usually lose in a landslide. Why didn’t Trump? By Matthew Rozsa. Salon.com. November 5, 2020
Reprinted by RawStory.com, November 7, 2020
- Calls for Universal Basic Income increase as government support fails those most in need. By Jasmine Norden, the Canary, 2nd November 2020
- Karl Widerquist and Mathew Schmid (video). An interview for UBI Discussions: N2K Kneed to Know by Tree Media, Conversations on Basic Income, posted October 2020
- Boston Basic Income #122: Moral Framing (video). By Alex Howlett, Boston Basic Income, Oct 7, 2020
Also available as a podcast
- Karl Widerquist asks, “Who Should Own Property?” followed by the Basic Income Panel discussion with Caterine Lindman and Jessie Golem (video 1:52:18). By Climate Healers, September 20, 2020
–Reposted on Karl Widerquist’s YouTube Channel, May 26, 2021
- A Conversation with Income Movement Leaders. Hosted by Ching Juhl, with panelists: Michael Lewis, Diane Pagen, and Karl Widerquist. Streamed live on Sep 15, 2020
- Universal basic income gains support during the pandemic. By Charlotte Gifford, World Finance, September 14, 2020
- The US is experiencing a “K-shaped” economic recovery. Here’s what that means. By Matthew Rozsa, Salon.com, September 9, 2020
- Boston Basic Income #116: Power to Say No (video). Panel discussion hosted by Alex Howlett, Boston Basic Income, YouTube, Aug. 26, 2020
Also available as a podcast
- Revisiting Universal Basic Income. By Avneet Singh, News Talk Florida, August 26, 2020
- Could universal basic income work in the US? Economists look to a test case — in Alaska. Matthew Rozsa. Salon.com, August 23, 2020
- Supporting People, the Environment, UBI (video interview). By Blair Walsingham (host) and Karl Widerquist (interviewee), Its Your Vote (Episode 6), Blair For Congress, YouTube, August 21, 2020
- Capitalist Nursery Fables: The Tragedy of Private Property, and the Farce of Its Defense. By Kevin Carson, Center for a Stateless Society, August 19th, 2020
- The surprising economic consequences of the coin shortage. By Matthew Rozsa, Salon.com, August 17, 2020
- Basic income could virtually eliminate poverty in the United Kingdom at a cost of £67 billion per year. By Karl Widerquist, OpenDemocracy, 14 August 2020
Reprinted by Basic Income Today, 25 August 2020
Reprinted by Resilience, 4 September 2020
Reprinted by BasicIncome.org, 5 September 2020
- The Universal Basic Income Debate (video). By Petar Josic (host) and Marco Annunziata and Karl Widerquist (debators), Digi-Debates, Aug 13, 2020
- Debunking the UBI Myths (video). By Jon Munitz, the Hill of Roses, August 11, 2020.
- GU-Q’s study finds basic income could virtually eliminate poverty in UK. By the Peninsula: Qatar’s Daily Newspaper, 28 July, 2020
- A Safety Net Trifecta: Universal Banking, Bonds, and Basic Income. By Aaron Price, Progressive Capitalism, Medium, Aug 3, 2020
- Basic Income Could Virtually Eliminate Poverty in the UK at the Cost of 3.4% of the GDP, Says New Research From Georgetown University. By Al Bawaba Business, Al Bawaba, July 27th, 2020
- An Analysis of a Basic Income Scheme Proposed for the UK. By Malcolm Torry, Basic Income News, BasicIncome.org, July 23, 2020
- This is the moment for Universal Basic Income – here’s how it could work. By Paul Mason, the New Statesman, 22 July 2020
- Workerism Must Die. By Austin G Mackell. Medium, July 21, 2020
- Basic Income Guarantee: A Pilot in Hudson. By Dalvin Aboagye, The River: Hudson Valley News Room, July 2, 2020
- Video: Beyond Return – On the transformational potential of UBI, By Andra Bria (host) with panelists Karl Widerquist, Astha Kapoor, and Eric Wycoff Rogers, Beyond Return, YouTube, June 27, 2020
- Conversation with Karl Widerquist (video). By Larry Liu. Mr. Liu’s Opinion, June 24, 2020
-Reposted as an audio podcast in two parts: Part 1, Part 2, By Larry Liu on Soundcloud, June 24, 2020
- A Conversation with Karl Widerquist (video). By Ching Juhl (host). Juhl Media, YouTube, June 22, 2020
- Basic Income Tea: #FutureOfWork: Business, but NOT as usual (video). By Antonis Triantafyllakis, Basic Income Tea – Sunday Webinars, Universal Basic Income-Europe, Sunday, 21 June, 2020
- ‘The Prehistory of Private Property’: Karl Widerquist introduces his new book with Grant McCall (video). By Karl Widerquist, Worldwide 9th Meeting of UBI Advocates and UBI Networks, YouTube, Recorded June 9th, 2020. First broadcast: June 14th 2020
- United States and Basic Income & Covid (video). Louise Haagh, Sarath Davala, and Jamie Cooke (hosts) in conversation with Karl Widerquist and Scott Santens, BIEN Conversations, June 5, 2020
- Universal Basic Income Debate (video). Hosted by Jon Munitz, The Hill of Roses Podcast, May 27, 2020
-Also available on YouTube (video 50:55)
- The Power to Say No (an audio interview with Karl Widerquist 1:33:19). By Mila & Ken of the Unacceptable Podcast, May 16, 2020
-Also available on YouTube (video 1:33:19)
- With economic doom looming, maybe it’s time for a Universal Basic Income. By Seamus Allen, the Watchdog, May 11, 2020
- A Guide to Universal Basic Income. By Oshan Jarow, Musing Mind, May 9, 2020
- Universal Basic Income and the Capitalist Production of Consciousness. By Oshan Jarow. Music Mind, May 1, 2020
- That Luck Matters More Than Talent: A Strong Rationale for UBI. By Richard Carrier, RichardCarrier.info, April 18, 2020
- Universal Basic Income and the Coronavirus Crisis (video interview of Karl Widerquist). By Fabian Wendt, PPE in the Time of Pandemic series by the Philosophy, Politics and Economics program at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, April 17th, 2020
-Reposted on YouTube as “Universal Basic Income” by UNC-Chapel Hill (audio 58:40)
-Reposted on YouTube as “Universal Basic Income and the Coronavirus Crisis.” Karl Widerquist’s YouTube Channel (audio, 58:41)
- “Private Property,” video lecture by Karl Widerquist, Boston Basic Income #98, Hosted by Alex Howlett, Apr 15, 2020
- YouTube Accidentally Permanently Terminated My Account. By Alex Howlett, Medium, April 11, 2020
- Renta Básica Universal: un debate que trasciende la emergencia del coronavirus. By María Camila Hernández. France24, April 10, 2020
- Pandemic crisis should not supplant need for action on climate. By Cathy Orlando, The Sudbury Star. April 7, 2020
- How the Social Contract Maintains Societies. By a_kodama, Medium, April 13, 2020
- Impacts of Covid 19 and UBI Discussion. By Ali Mutlu Köylüoğlu, YouTube, Mar 27, 2020
- Could universal basic income save the world? By Stuart Watkins, MoneyWeek, 26 Mar 2020
- America is in crisis. We need universal basic income now [The usual arguments against UBI don’t apply to the Emergency UBI]. By Karl Widerquist, the Guardian, 20 Mar 2020
- How the Trump cash infusion would help millions of Americans: Interview with Karl Widerquist. By Annie Nova, CNBC, Mar 18 2020
- Boston Basic Income #92: Karl Widerquist on UBI History (video). By Karl Widerquist (speaker) and Alex Howlett (host). Boston Basic Income, Mar 7, 2020
- Borgerløn – the power to say no, Husligt Arbejde, YouTube, Mar 6, 2020 (a punk song based on the book, Freedom as the Power to Say No
- Yang’s Freedom Dividend: What’s It Got to do with Freedom? Michael Lewis, USBIG.net, January 2020
- People of Basic Income (video report on the Basic Income March, Oct. 26, 2019). By Derek Van Gorder, YouTube, December 9, 2019
- Maine Wire: Is it feasible to provide a universal basic income in Maine? By Adam Crepeau, The Maine Wire, December 3, 2019
- Universal Basic Income: the power to say ‘no’, for everyone. Cartoon video with text by Neil Howard and Karl Widerquist. Published by OpenDemocracy and YouTube. Dec 1, 2019.
Reposted on Twitter [direct link] and Facebook [direct link]
- Xiao: On Universal Basic Income. By Victoria H. Xiao, The Dartmouth Review, November 19, 2019
- Elms College Humanities Lecture: “Freedom, Basic Income, and the Abolition of Poverty”. By Karl Widerquist, ElmsCollegeVideo, YouTube, posted November 18, 2019 (recorded October 28, 2019)
- Karl Widerquist addresses the NOLA YangGang (three part video), Karl Widerquist YouTube Channel, recorded November 15, 2019, posted October 2019 in three parts:
-Part 1: Why We Need a Basic Income: Widerquist talks with the New Orleans YangGang, Karl Widerquist YouTube Channel, Nov 15, 2019 (Video 9:25)
-Part 2: The Right & Wrong Ways to Talk About Automation & UBI: Widerquist and the NOLA Yang Gang, Karl Widerquist YouTube Channel, Nov 15, 2019 (Video 15:28)
-Part 3: Discussion Basic Income Over a Beer: Widerquist meets the New Orleans YangGang, Karl Widerquist YouTube Channel, Nov 15, 2019 (Video 34:56)
- Karl Widerquist: The Basic Income Episode (audio 2:25:14). Interview by Oshan Jarow, the Musing Mind Podcast, November 11, 2019
–Karl Widerquist: Growth or Degrowth? Nov 12, 2019 (Audio excerpt 3:32)
–Karl Widerquist Comparing Basic Income & Negative Income Tax. Nov 12, 2019 (Audio excerpt 10:41)
–Karl Widerquist: How Much Might Universal Basic Income Cost? Nov 12, 2019 (Audio excerpt 7:26)
–Were pre-modern societies really any worse off than moderns? Nov 12, 2019 (Audio excerpt 8:28)
–Basic income, or services? Why UBI doesn’t correct market failures. Nov 12, 2019 (Audio excerpt, 1:22)
- Deceptively Simple: The Uselessness of Gross Cost in the Cost-Benefit Analysis of Universal Basic Income By Georg Arndt and Karl Widerquist, Maine Policy Review, November 2019
- Universal Basic Income–For or Against? A Debate between Karl Widerquist and Oren Cass (full video: 1:26:12). Moderated by Charles Wheelen. October 30, 2019, The Rockefeller Center and the Political Economy Project of Dartmouth College
–Opening remarks by Karl Widerquist (video excerpt 11:36), posted Dec 16, 2019
- We’ve Owed Each Other a Basic Income Since We Killed the Buffalo: 9-minute speech at the New York Basic Income March, October 26, 2019 (video). By Karl Widerquist, Filmed by Juhl Media. Posted October 29, 2019
Also, translated into French: Pourquoi je marche pour le Revenu de Base. By Karl Widerquist. Translation by Pierre Madden, Revenu de Base Villeray, November 8, 2020
- UBI March – NYC – October 26, 2019 (video). By Juhl Media. Posted October 28, 2019.
- How Would You Spend a Universal Basic Income? We Asked Participants Around the World—and Their Answers Might Surprise You. By Eric J. Lyman, Fortune Magazine, October 16, 2019
- Yang’s Wild Defense of Universal Basic Income. By Josh Martin, Purple State Proressie, September 26, 2019
- End the Threat of Economic Destitution Now. By Karl Widerquist, Open Democracy, 17 September 2019
- Universal basic income: a way through the storm? By Neil Howard, Open Democracy, 16 September 2019
- Free is good, by Tom Hickey, Mike Normal Economics, September 6, 2019
- The Pragmatic Case for Universal Basic Income. By Productivity Hub, the Productivity Hub, August 14, 2019
- Conservatives in Philosophy: A Brief Rejoinder to Tristan Rogers, by Shelby T. Hanna, Quillette, July 12, 2019
- The Future of Work: Universal Basic Income and the Philosophy of Freedom,” by Romany Williams, SSense, July 11, 2019
- ‘Universal Basic Income Doesn’t Work’ Says Prime Example of Fake News, by Scott Santens, The Good Men Project, July 4, 2019
- Bezwarunkowy Dochód Podstawowy: Ani lek, ani homeopatia [Unconditional basic income: Neither drug nor homeopathy], by Anatol Roettke, Interia Praca, June 24, 2019
- Universal Basic Income: More affordable than at first glance. By Jessica Cychew, Re-envisioning the Economic Status Quo, June 23, 2019
- Basic Income and Automation (video: 38:45 – 1:20:42). Karl Widerquist Panelist, Eighteenth North American Basic Income Guarantee Congress, Sunday June 16, 2019
- Could universal basic income become a presidential campaign issue? By Ramin Skibba, Raminskibba.net (blog), 30 May 2019
- Dan Schneider Video Interview #265: Prehistoric Myths in Modern Political Philosophy. By Dan Schneider (host) interviewing Karl Widerquist, Cosmoetica, May 23, 2019
- Universal Basic Income in the U.S. By Navneet Singh and Delsea Albanese, Econsult Solutions, April 5, 2019
- Georgetown Announces Launch of New Publication on Universal Basic Income, by Albawaba, April 8, 2019
-Republished as GU-Q to launch book by professor today by The Gulf Times, April 9, 2019
- UBI is an idea with the potential to radically reshape society, by Daniel Herborn, CEO Magazine, April 1, 2019
- ‘If We No Longer Force People to Work to Meet Their Basic Needs, Won’t They Stop Working?’ by Scott Santens, The Good Men Project, March 31, 2019
- What happened to all the hype about Universal Basic Income? By Olivia Goldhill, Quartz, March 16, 2019
- Book Review: Karl Widerquist, A Critical Analysis of Basic Income Experiments, by Malcolm Torry, Citizens Basic Income Trust, 15th March 2019
- Universal Basic Income Would Be Cheaper Than Expected, Andrew Yang Explains, by Mike Brown, Inverse.com, March 8, 2019
- FSU tackles poverty with solutions-based conference, by John Lystad, FSU News, March 3, 2019
- The Power to Say No and American Social Policy (video), lecture with questions and answers by Karl Widerquist, delivered at Florida State University’s College of Social Work conference, “Poverty in America: Critical Perspectives on Causes, Effects and Possible Solutions,” March 1, 2019
- Social Experiments 101: A Short Primer for UBI Observers by Michael Lewis, the USBIG Blog, USBIG.net, March 2019
- Voces sobre la renta básica (II): ¿Está justificada? [Voices on basic income (II): Is it justified?] by Pablo Magaña, Revista Libertalia, February 28, 2019
An English translation of the article is available at this link.
- The Dan Schneider Video Interview #259: Universal Basic Income: Karl Widerquist, by Dan Schneider (host) interviewing Karl Widerquist, Cosmoetica, Feb 20, 2019
- Basic income: The idea and Indian experiments, by Sarath Davala, the Financial Express, February 19, 2019
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Got Dragged For Suggesting People Who Are ‘Unwilling To Work’ Should Get Paid. Advocates Say That’s The Point, by Paul McLeod, BuzzFeed, February 15, 2019
- Income for all, Editorial, the New Delhi Statesman, February 18, 2019
- Basic Income Guarantee Will Be Key Issue for Andrew Yang in 2020 Elections, Mark Erickson, East Portland Blog, on February 13th, 2019
- Finland’s basic income experiment finds cash boosted well-being but not employment [YouTube video], Kate Snow, NBC Nightly News (February 10, 2019)
NBC News video: Finland’s basic income experiment finds cash boosted well-being but not employment
- Crisis in Venezuela: Guest Karl Widerquist (video 3:56). NewsGrid, Al-Jazeera, (Reposted on Karl Widerquist’s YouTube Channel), broadcast live January 26, 2019
- The Natural Condition of Mankind [Review Article] by Maeve McKeown, European Journal of Political Theory, November 24, 2018. Also available on acadamia.edu.
- “Report: Basic Income disincentivizes work,” by Bethany Blankley, Watchdog.org, November 20, 2018
-reprinted in Index-Journal, November 20, 2018
-reprinted in the Washington Free Beacon, November 24, 2018
- Freedom Needs Basic Income (video). Karl Widerquist (edited by UBIVisuals), Basic Income Visuals, YouTube.com, November 13, 2018
- The Resources of the Earth Belong to Everyone. By Public Voice, Progress.org, November 11, 2018
- Will the midterm results affect Trump’s foreign policy? (Video 24:30). Panel Discussion with Mohammed Jamjoom (host) and Karl Widerquist, Eli Clifton, and Rami G. Khouri (panelists), Inside Story, Al-Jazeera, 8 Nov 2018
-Reposted on YouTube: “Will the midterm results affect Trump’s foreign policy? (Video)”
- Basic Income: Favorite Argument (video 22 seconds). Karl Widerquist, Basic Income Visuals YouTube Channel, Oct 31, 2018
-Reposted as Argument for basic income Karl Widerquist (video 42 seconds), Bi-Produktion YouTube Channel, May 20, 2019
- One of the godfathers of Universal Basic Income, description of Karl Widerquist by presidential candidate, Andrew Yang, Oct 18, 2018.
- Books by Karl Widerquist, by GoodReads.com, last accessed 2018
- Closing Reflections, BIEN Congress 2018, by Annie Miller, Citizens Basic Income Scotland, September 5, 2018
- Basinkomst – enligt Karl Widerquist, by Kommentarer, Basinkomstpartiet.org, 24 August 2018
- Going Global, a short video by the India Network for Basic Income, hosted by Sarath Davala, August 15, 2018.
- Why universal basic income costs far less than you think by Elizaveta Fouksman, the Conversation, August 14, 2018
– Republished as, Universal basic income costs far less than you think, Quartz, August 15, 2018
-Republished as, Here’s the true cost of the proposed ‘universal basic income’ that could lessen inequality, CNBC Africa, August 29, 2018
- $500 of free taxpayer money each month — a solution or a problem by William Nardi, the Washington Examiner, July 31, 2018
- One Question: Universal Basic Income. Edited by Cihan Aksan and Jon Bailes. The State of Nature Blog, 30th July 2018.
- Universal basic income: money for nothing, by Lou Foglia, Beme News (CNN’s YouTube Channel), July 25, 2018. (Quotes Widerquist at 1:11).
- “Universal Basic Income is capitalism where income doesn’t start at zero,” Quote/Photo of Karl Widerquist, by Andrew Yang, Twitter, July 20, 2018.
- Barack Obama Voices Support for a Universal Basic Income, by Andrew Miller, The Trumpet July 19, 2018.
- Prehistoric Myths in Modern Political Philosophy (video), lecture by Karl Widerquist, at the University of Paris, June 18, 2018 (Language: English).
-Also on YouTube, Prehistoric Myths in Modern Political Philosophy (video)
- Interview with Karl Widerquist (video), questions by Victor Mardellat and Télémaque Masson, Canal-U.TV (Paris), June 18, 2018. (Language: English).
–Reposted on YouTube, Nov 29, 2020
- Meet the economist who thinks basic income could be great for Louisiana, by Kat Stromquist, the Gambit (New Orleans), July 13, 2018.
- What Countries Have Tried Universal Basic Income? by NowThis World, July 1, 2018.
- Money for nothing: the truth about universal basic income, by Carrie Arnold, Nature, May 30, 2018.
- We’re giving up on universal basic income before the evidence is in, by Olivia Goldhill, QUARTZ, May 29, 2018.
- Could a Basic Income Plan End Poverty in Washington, D.C.?, by Robin Lloyd, Undark, May 10, 2018.
- Universal basic income: U.S. support grows as Finland ends its trial, by Annie Nova, CNBC, May 1, 2018.
- Basic Income: Better Than Welfare? (Interview of Karl Widerquist), by Adam Bearne, Scholar’s Mate PublicSquareNet YouTube Channel, May 1, 2018.
- What Happens When Every Citizen Receives a Universal Basic Income, by Leigh Anderson, LifeHacker, April 18, 2018.
- CIRS, Karl Widerquist CIRS Book Workshop, Center for International and Regional Studies, March 26, 2018
- Is Universal Basic Income as Radical as You Think? By Alex Goik, Medium, March 20, 2018
- Chad Hartman Interviews Karl Widerquist on Universal Basic Income (audio, 13:26), and (full show with interview beginning at 22:00 (audio, 35:35). By Chad Hartman on WCCO-AM
–Reposted on YouTube, Karl Widerquist YouTube Channel (audio 13:26).
- Common Misconceptions About The Universal Basic Income, by Isaiah Minter, 71Republic, March 22, 2018
- Georgetown Professor Advocates Socialist Redistribution Despite Contrast to Research Data, by Danny Travers, Gureview.org, February 28, 2018
- “Ist Wohlstand teilbar? Karl Widerquist sagt…” by Redaktion w:o, wallstreet-online.de, 27 February 2018
- “More Americans now support a universal basic income,” by Annie Nova, CNBC, Mon, 26 Feb 2018
- Basic income — now, in 20 years or never?, by Micgoat, Medium, February 1, 2018.
- Less than 3 Percent of GDP Could End U.S., New Research Shows, by Georgetown University, Georgetown.edu, January 30, 2018
- Al Jazeera interviews Karl Widerquist about wealth inequality (video 3:15), Al-Jazeera (reposted on Karl Widerquist’s YouTube Channel), originally broadcast live January 26, 2018.
- Why we need a Universal Basic Income, by Karl Widerquist, Karl Widerquist’s YouTube Channel, January 7, 2018.
- Karl Widerquist, Basic Income (audio interview). By Kieran Oberman (host). SoundCloud, 2017
- Seminar With Karl Widerquist (group audio discussion). By Kieran Oberman (host). SoundCloud, 2017
- Quebec’s new basic income plan has proponents dreaming big, others skeptical, by Benjamin Shingler, CBC News, December 12, 2017.
- Your Call: Would a universal basic income build a new economic system?, by Laura Flynn and Renee Kemp, KALW, December 6, 2017.
- Capitalism Has a Problem. Is Free Money the Answer?, by Peter S. Goodman, The New York Times, November 15, 2017
– Reprinted in The Seattle Times, 2017, When the economy doesn’t provide living-wage jobs, is free money the answer?.
- GU-Q don questions beliefs about prehistory in new book, by Tribune News Network, Qatar Tribune, November 13, 2017.
- Citizens Basic Income: An Idea Whose Time Has Come, by Maddy Halliday, Third Force News, October 24, 2017.
- The BIG Misunderstanding About the Cost of Universal Basic Income, by Karl Widerquist, Progress.org, September 10, 2017
- Why We Need a Universal Basic Income, by Keri Leigh Merritt, Billmoyers, September 15, 2017.
– Reprinted in Common Dreams, Why We Need a Universal Basic Income, 2017.
- How Much Basic Income Would Really Cost (audio interview of Karl Widerquist), by Jim Pugh, The Basic Income Podcast, September 13, 2017.
-Reposted on Player FM, and ListenNotes.com, as How Much Basic Income Would Really Cost, January 9, 2019
-Reposted as “How Much Basic Income Would Really Cost (video 26:27)” on YouTube, June 9, 2021
- ADI Policy Forum – Part Two of Five – The Future of Work and Basic Income Options for Australia, talk by Karl Widerquist, Alfred Deakin Institute YouTube Channel, September 10, 2017.
- Would cash payments relieve job losses due to automation?, by Sarah Glazer, CQ Researcher, September 8, 2017.
- Guaranteed paychecks? Advocates push universal basic income, by Associated Press, App, September 8, 2017.
- ‘Something big has to change’: could Australia afford a universal basic income?, by Tim Dunlop, The Guardian, September 9, 2017.
- Friday free form, by TDN, TDN, September 7, 2017.
- Hawaii Considers A “Universal Basic Income” As Robots Seen Stealing Jobs, There’s Just One Catch…, by Tyler Durden, austrian.economicblogs.org, September 6, 2017.
- Wary of robots taking jobs, Hawaii toys with guaranteed pay, by CBS News, CBS News, September 4, 2017.
- “Why we need a Universal Basic Income (30-minute audeo lecture with one-hour Q&A),” Karl Widerquist, Sydney Ideas, Department of Political Economy and the School of Social and Political Sciences, University of Sydney, August 16, 2017. This audio was reporduced in two parts as:
–Sydney Ideas: Lecture on Basic Income with Karl Widerquist (just the lecture), Karl Widerquist YouTube Channel (audio, 31:03)
–Sydney Ideas: Q&A on UBI with Karl Widerquist, Karl Widerquist YouTube Channel (audio, 1:03:18)
- Talking About Being Decent To Each Other – Paths To A UBI, by Tim Hollo, The Green Institute, August 19, 2017.
- What If Government Just Gave Everyone Cash, No Strings Attached?, by Zach Patton, Governing, August 2017.
- Basic Income as a Strategy to Promote the Georgist Movement, by Karl Widerquist, Progress, August 5, 2017.
- Why universal basic income is gaining support, critics, by Kathleen Pender, San Francisco Chronicle, July 15, 2017.
- Jobber for Borgerlønn-reform i Norge [Working for Borgerlønn reform in Norway] (Interview of Karl Widerquist), by Elvind Kallevik, RAD102, July 11, 2017.
- “Karl Widerquist: Rich Tell Poor What to Do,” by admin, Made of Money, June 25, 2017
- Does this Canadian province have the solution to the world’s problem of unemployment?, by Charlie Young, Independent, July 8, 2017.
- Финский (де)мотиватор: изменят ли 560 евро жизнь безработного? [Finnish (de-)motivator: will 560 euro change the life of the unemployed?], by Oleg Boldyrev, BBC News-Russia, July 3, 2017.
- Interview Of Karl Widerquist by Oleg Boldyrev (audio 29:43), Karl Widerquist’s Research YouTube Channel, recorded July 2017, posted June 2021 (original interview conducted for Boldrev’s BBC article)
- My own private basic income, by Karl Widerquist, OpenDemocracy, June 2, 2017.
-Reprinted in Moon Magazine, 2017, “My own private basic income.
-Audio version published by OpenDemocracy, read by Karl Miller, on Curio.io Souncloud channel, “My own private basic income,” November 2017.
-Audio version, “My own private basic income,” is also available on YouTube.
- Basic Income Could Empower Millions Of Indians, But India May Find Cost Too High, by Sherya Shah, IndiaSpend, June 24, 2017.
- Should all Americans receive a guaranteed income?, by KHOU Staff, Magnify Money, June 20, 2017.
- Universal basic income would pay everyone to improve quality of life, by Marisa Kendall, Lexington Herald-Leader, June 4, 2017.
- The Long, Weird History of Basic Income – And Why It’s Back, by David Flyod, Investopedia, May 30, 2017.
- How much does UBI cost? By Karl Widerquist, BasicIncome.org, May 21, 2017
-Reprinted as How much does UBI cost? By Karl Widerquist, Nexusnewsfeed.com
-Reprinted as How much does UBI cost? By Herbert Dupree, the Fertile Mind, Medium, May 26, 2017
-Reprinted as How much does UBI cost? By Karl Widerquist, Progress.org, October 21, 2017
- “Report says basic income may not reduce poverty, advocates firmly disagree,” by Joanne Lu, Humanosphere, 24 May 2017
- Karl Widerquist steps down as BIEN’s Co-Chair to write Basic Income book for MIT Press, by Kate McFarland, basicincome.org. May 14, 2017.
- The benefits of an unconditional basic income, by Kim Darrah, World Finance, May 11, 2017.
- No Strings Attached: The Behavioral Effects of U.S. Unconditional Cash Transfer Programs [PowerPoint Presentation], by Ioana Marinescu, The Roosevelt Institute, May 11, 2017.
- Tech giants Elon Musk, Sam Altman push universal basic income concept, by Marisa Kendall, Santa Cruz Sentinel, May 5, 2017.
- Universal Basic Income Interview by Keith Brown, We Are Here [Podcast #006], April 28, 2017
- “Basic Income,” by C3000 Economic & Political Affairs April 27, 2017.
- SCOT TV Exclusive: Karl Widerquist on Universal Basic Income. UBI in Scotland, Part 2, by Scot TV, Scot TV YouTube Channel, April 4, 2017.
- SCOT TV Exclusive: Karl Widerquist on Universal Basic Income. UBI in Scotland, Part 1, by Scot TV, Scot TV YouTube Channel, April 4, 2017.
- “Free Money for All: Karl Widerquist’s Argument for Basic Income,” by Sabrina Ronco, Just World Institute, March 15, 2017
- Universal Basic Income with Dr Karl Widerquist (audio1:04:42), by Sam Barton, Talk of Today, March 14, 2017.
-Reposted as “Interview: Universal Basic Income with Dr Karl Widerquist (1:04:42),” interview by Sam Barton, Karl Widerquist’s Research YouTube Channel, June 2021
- Hamon’s basic income would cost €35bn to the government, by gboccaccio, The French Report, March 13, 2017
- Addressing the evidence deficit: how experimentation and microsimulation can inform the basic income debate, by Luke Martinelli, University of Bath Blogs, March 13, 2017.
- 13 MAART | WAT ALS WE EEN WERELDWIJD BASISINKOMEN INVOEREN VAN 100 EURO [MARCH 13TH WHAT IF WE INTRODUCE A WORLDWIDE BASIC INCOME OF 100 EUROS], by Mark Beekhuis, BNR, March 13, 2017
- Georgetown Professors Questions Claims About Pre-History in New Book, by Georgetown University, Georgetown.edu, February 28, 2017
- Universal basic income: Money for nothing or efficient equalizer?, by FriendsoftheFifthColumn, thefifthcolumnnews, February 19, 2017
- Universal basic income: Money for nothing or efficient equalizer? By David Trilling, Journalist’s Resource, February 15, 2017
- “Universal Basic Income: The cornerstone of a just society?” by Daniel Broadley, Humanity Hallows, January 31, 2017
- Universal basic income could be tested in Fife within three years, by Cheryl Peebles, The Courier, January 30, 2017
- Basic Income – An Idea Whose Time Has Come, by AlexRowley.org, Jan. 30, 2017
- Karl Widerquist Georgetown Professor on Basic Income (video Interview), by Matt Orfalea, Matt Orfalea YouTube Channel, January 21, 2017
Republished at Kar Widerquist’s YouTube Channel, Karl Widerquist gets Interviewed by Matt Oraflea on Universal Basic Income, January 21, 2018
- GU-Q professor explores myths of prehistory in book, by The Peninsula, The Peninsula, January 8, 2017
- What You Need to Know About the Massive Job Losses on the Horizon, by Thor Benson, ATTN, January 3, 2017
- Why Finland is ahead of the US with guaranteed income, by Catherine Clifford, CNBC, January 3, 2017
- Free Cash in Finland. Must Be Jobless., by Peter S. Goodman, The New York Times, December 17, 2016.
- Elon Musk says robots will push us to a universal basic income—here’s how it would work, by Catherine Clifford, CNBC, November 18, 2016.
- Al Jazeera interviews Karl Widerquist, previewing Trump-era U.S. politics, (part 2 of 2) (video 4:08). By Al Jazeera (reproduced on Karl Widerquist YouTube Channel), November 9, 2016.
- Al Jazeera interviews Karl Widerquist previews Trump-era politics (part 1 of 2) (video 6:42). By Al-Jazeera (reposted on Karl Widerquist YouTube Channel), November 9, 2016
- Al Jazeera interviews Karl Widerquist on election day: 3rd of 3 (video 4:45). By Al Jazeera, Karl Widerquist’s YouTube Channel, November 8, 2016.
- Al Jazeera interviews Karl Widerquist on election day: 2nd of 3 (video 3:31). By Al Jazeera, Karl Widerquist’s YouTube Channel, November 8, 2016.
- Al Jazeera interviews Karl Widerquist on election day: 1st of 3 (video 6:22). By Al Jazeera, Karl Widerquist’s YouTube Channel, November 8, 2016.
- Al Jazeera Interviews Karl Widerquist on the U.S. Election 05 Nov 2016 (video 5:00). By Al Jazeera, Karl Widerquist’s YouTube Channel, November 6, 2016.
- The Newsmakers: Is veganism eco-friendly and Poverty in the US (Interview of Karl Widerquist). By Imran Garda, The News Makers on TRT World YouTube Channel, November 3, 2016.
- Al Jazeera interviews Karl Widerquist on the reopening of Clinton email Investigation. By Al Jazeera (reposted on Karl Widerquist YouTube Channel), October 31, 2016.
- INTERVENCIÓN KARL WIDERQUIST EN EL ENCUENTRO “VIENE LA RENTA BÁSICA” [Speech by Karl Widerquist at conference titled “Basic Income is coming”], by Karl Widerquist, Solidarias YouTube Channel, October 16, 2016.
- The Possibilities and Pitfalls of Basic Income Experiments (video lecture). By Karl Widerquist, Nordic Conference on Basic Income Pilots, September 23, 2016.
- Tudi v Kanadi eksperiment z univerzalnim temeljnim dohodkom [In Canada, too, the Universal Income Generation], by Ekonomija, MLADINA, September 3, 2016.
- (1/5) “A story to tell” When life is merciless / Creathon on basic income 2016, by Creathon, MFRB – Mouvement français pour un revenu de base (French Movement for Basic Income YouTube Channel), August 29, 2016.
- World Social Forum 2016 / Basic Income, a Major Social Innovation for the 21st Century, talk by Karl Widerquist, MFRB – Mouvement français pour un revenu de base (French Movement for Basic Income YouTube Channel), August 27, 2016.
- Karl Widerquist PhD, video interview and panel discussion. By Armando F Sanchez (host), Jenna van Draanen, Kate McFarland, and Andre Coelho (panelists), YouTube, August 10, 2016
- “In the future, we could all get free money from the government — here’s when it might happen,” by Chris Weller, Business Insider, Aug. 11, 2016
- Swiss Basic Income Vote Sparks Discussion Despite Failure to Pass, by Sputnik, Sputnik, July 6, 2016.
- An Idiot’s Guide to Universal Basic Income (Interview of Karl Widerquist), by Alex King, Huck, June 10, 2016.
- Would You Like Some Money, Just For Being A Person?, by Karen Pinchin, Good Magazine, June 7, 2016.
- Your Call: Is it time for a guaranteed basic income? (Interview of Karl Widerquist), by Rose Aguilar, Your Call on KALW, June 6, 2016.
- “Switzerland votes against state-provided basic income,” by Ralph Atkins and Gemma Tetlow, Financial Times, June 5, 2016.
- What If Government Just Gave Poor People Cash? It’s Been Tried In Denver, by Sam Brasch, Colorado Public Radio, Jun 2, 2016
- ‘Unconditional basic income is a response to the loss of freedom in our economy’ – Karl Widerquist (Interview of Karl Widerquist), by Radio Sputnik, soundcloud.com, 2016.
- Ontario’s Basic Income Pilot Project is a Radical Approach by Katelyn Harrop, Vice Impact, May 11 2017
- What Would Happen If We Just Gave People Money?, by Andrew Flowers, FiveThirtyEight, April 25, 2016.
- Universal Basic Income (UBI): Theory and Praxis, by Patrick S. O’Donnell, Religious Left Law, April 15, 2016
- Alaska’s annual dividend adds up for residents, by Rachel Waldholz, MARKETPLACE, March 16, 2016.
- “PFD Cuts Could Mean Big Ripples in Alaska Economy,” Rachel Waldholz, Alaska Public Media, March 10, 2016
- Canada Is About To Start Giving Away Free Money, by Shane Fero, HuffPost, March 9, 2016.
- We talked to five experts about what it would take to actually institute Universal Basic Income, by Olivia Goldhill, Quartz, February 6, 2016
- These Tech Wizards Want To Pay People For Doing Absolutely Nothing, by Shane Fero, HuffPost, January 29, 2016.
- Time For A Guaranteed Basic Income?, by Tom Ashbrook, NPR’s On Point, January 14, 2016.
- Alaska’s dividends help make us equal and protect our common wealth, by Charles Wolforth, Anchorage Daily News, January 11, 2016.
- American Achieves First Crowdfunded Monthly Basic Income, by Scott Santens, scottsantens.com, December 14, 2015.
- Even Big Banks Think Robot Automation Will Lead to Further Income Inequality, by Jack Smith IV, MIC, November 11, 2015.
- “És ki fog dolgozni, ha bevezetik az alapjövedelmet Magyarországon?” by Ember Zoltán, 24.hu, November 21, 2015
- Can Basic Income Bring About the Next Creative Renaissance?, by Jack Smith IV, MIC, September 18, 2015.
- “Basic Income, the Most Radical Innovation in Minimum Wage,” by Jack Smith IV, Mic, Sep 4, 2015
- Basic Income AMA Series: I’m Karl Widerquist, co-chair of the Basic Income Earth Network and author of “Freedom as the Power to Say No,” AMA, by Karl Widerquist, Reddit r/IAmA, July 4, 2015.
- What If Everybody Didn’t Have to Work to Get Paid?, by David R. Wheeler, The Atlantic, May 18, 2015.
- “The most exciting proposal of the GOP presidential campaign so far,” by Dylan Matthews, Vox, Apr 2, 2015
- Published in translation as, “Warum das Silicon Valley auf einmal fürs bedingungslose Grundeinkommen ist,” by von Nathan Schneider, March 3, 2015
- Why the Tech Elite Is Getting Behind Universal Basic Income, by Nathan Schneider, Vice, January 6, 2015.
-Published in translation as, “Warum das Silicon Valley auf einmal fürs bedingungslose Grundeinkommen ist,” by von Nathan Schneider, March 3, 2015
- We don’t have freedom without basic income (video 2:53). Interview of Karl Widerquist by Enno Schmid, Basic Income Earth Network Channel, YouTube, recorded June 29, 2014, posted February 9, 2015
-Reposted in edited from as We don’t have freedom without Basic Income (video 1:21), Basic Income Visuals YouTube Channel, Nov 13, 2018
- What Can We Learn From A Town That Beat Poverty, by Lane Anderson, Deseret News, January 5, 2015.
- “The Guaranteed Basic Income & the Libertarian Dilemma (w/ Karl Widerquist),” by Sam Seder, The Majority Report, 2015.
- We’ve Actually Tried Negative Income Taxes, And They Seem To Work, by Ben Southwood, Adam Smith Institute, November 6, 2014.
- ”Big Casino” og friheden som magten til at sige nej ( “Big Casino” and freedom as the power to say no), by AF Erik Christensen, MODKRAFT Magazine, September 26, 2014.
- Money for nothing: Mincome experiment could pay dividends 40 years on, by Benjamin Shingler, Al Jazeera America, August 26, 2014.
- “A guaranteed income for every American would eliminate poverty — and it wouldn’t destroy the economy,” by Dylan Matthews, Vox, Jul 23, 2014
- Karl Widerquist at North American Basic Income Guarantee Conference, a talk by Karl Widerquist, Basic Income Canada Network YouTube Channel, July 15, 2014.
- Basic Income Heroes: Karl Widerquist Edition, by Karl Widerquist, SquareSpace.com, July 13, 2014.
- Libertarianism: The Scientology of Politics (Discusses my article, “A Dilemma for Libertarianism”), The Majority Report w/ Sam Seder, June 6, 2014
- Guaranteed Basic Income with Karl Widerquist (audio interview 59:48), by Jeremy Mendelson, Politicized Radio, January 30, 2014. (Host’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- $2750 a month for every adult, guaranteed? Switzerland’s considering it, by Marco Werman, PRI’s The World, October 14, 2013.
- “Anti Wage-Slavery, Pro-Freedom Quotations Of The Week 981-983,” by Jack Saturday, blogspot.com, May 13, 2013.
- The Alaska Model: a citizen’s income in practice by Karl Widerquist, Open Democracy, Apr 24, 2013
- Commentary: Let’s change the way Alaska Permanent Fund pays dividends by Karl Widerquist, the Alaska Dispatch, December 5, 2012
- Interesting times ahead for Alaska Permanent Fund, by Karl Widerquist, Anchorage Daily News, June 3, 2012.
- How Alaska can avoid the third-stage resource curse, by Karl Widerquist, Anchorage Daily News, February 27, 2012.
- Four-part video interview by Joerg Drescher (host), Basic Income Earth Network YouTube Channel, December 16, 2011
Karl Widerquist on the current crises and Basic Income (video interview)
Karl Widerquist on Basic Income as a human right (video interview)
Karl Widerquist on the APF (video interview)
Karl Widerquist on steps to implement Basic Income
- Karl Widerquist on the Alaska Permanent Fund. By Joerg Drescher (host), Basic Income Earth Network YouTube Channel, Dec 14, 2011
- Six Lessons from the Alaska Model: Karl Widerquist in Duesseldorf (video in four parts. Posted by Oliviatawiah, on DailyMotion.com, 30 September 2011
- The Indepentarian (blog) and news postings, by Karl Widerquist, Basic Income News, 2011-present
- A BIG Idea: A Minimum Income Guarantee. An Interview with Karl Widerquist. By Multinational Monitor, May-June 2009, Vol. 30 No. 3
- Conference Report: The Eleventh BIEN Congress. By Karl Widerquist, Citizens Income Newsletter Issue 2, 2007
- Review of The Ethics and Economics of the Basic Income Guarantee. By The Citizens Income Newsletter Issue 1, 2007
- Review of The Ethics and Economics of the Basic Income Guarantee. By William M. Dugger. The Journal of Economic Issues 40, No. 4, December, pp. 1188-1190, 2006
- John Maynard Keynes: Economic Possibilities of Our Grandchildren, by Karl Widerquist, Dissent Magazine, 2006
– Available for free on Karl Widerquist’s Selected Works, 2006, The Economic Possibilities of Our Grandparents, a retrospective on John Maynard Keynes’s Economic Possibilities of Our Grandchildren
– Also reprinted as “Predicciones de Keynes: ‘Las posibilidades económicas de nuestros nietros’ Una visión restrospectiva” Ciudadanos: Critica Política y Propuesta Año 6, No. 10 El Futuro (Invierno de 2006). Traducido por José Villadeamigo (Not Available online)
- Surfer’s delight. By Samuel Brittan. Citizen’s Income Newsletter, No. 2, 2005
- Life, Liberty and a Little Bit of Cash. By Sean Butler, Dissent, Summer 2005
- Lending a Lasting Hand. By David Glenn. The Chronicle of Higher Education, January 16, 2004“Widerquist Volunteers in New York,” The Dowagiac Daily News.Vol. 104, No. 175, October 11, 2001; reprinted: The Niles Daily Star Vol. 115, No. 150, October 11, 2001; and in The Cassopolis Vigilant Vol. 136, No. 42, October 18, 2001
- The Basic Income Guarantee. By Karl Widerquist, Synthesis/Regeneration 26 (Greens.org), Fall 2001
- Widerquist Volunteers in New York. By John Eby, the Dowagiac Daily News, October 11, 2001
– Reprinted as, “Widerquist Volunteers in New York” by John Eby, the Niles Daily Star, October 11, 2001
-Reprinted as, “Cass Grad’s New View of New York,” by John Eby, The Cassopolis Vigilant, October 19, 2001
- Maybe the election will shame us into sharing our wealth, by Mark Satin, Radical Middle, November 2000
- The Money-Making Ethic, by Karl Widerquist, Chronogram Magazine, 1999.
-Reprinted in, Chronogram Magazine, January 1, 2019, as “From the Archive: The Money-Making Ethics“
-Reprinted in Progress.org, 2018, as “The Money-Making Ethic”
- Blaming The Worker, by Karl Widerquist, Chronogram Magazine, January 1998.
- The Bass Player, by Karl Widerquist, Cake: The Nonmusic Music Magazine, February 1997.
- Make Way For Other Toys, by Karl Widerquist, Cake: The Nonmusic Music Magazine, 1996.
- The Book is Dead, by Karl Widerquist, Cake: The Nonmusic Music Magazine, 1996.
- Breaking Away to the Next Red Light, by Karl Widerquist, Cake: The Nonmusic Music Magazine, 1996.