17th BIEN Congress, Portugal
CALL FOR PAPERS AND PROPOSALS:
IMPLEMENTING A BASIC INCOME
17th BIEN Congress, Portugal
Dates: 25-27 September 2017
Location: Portuguese National Parliament
Portuguese Basic Income Week: 25-30 September 2017
Today basic income attracts the public’s attention as a potentially fair and realistic public policy. We can see this attention as important political parties in Europe have adopted the unconditional basic income as a policy objective.
Our 2017 congress will discuss the different aspects of the politics of a basic income under the general theme: Implementing a Basic Income. We invite submissions around (but not limited to) the topics below:
- Economic models for a basic income
- The economic case for and against UBI in Europe
- Evaluations and prospects of various pilot projects
- The politics of a basic income
- The relation between basic income and other welfare benefits
- The future of work and technological unemployment
- The costs of poverty
- Basic income, inequality and social injustice
- Basic income, the family, and gender-based and group-based oppression
- Results and strategies of communication regarding diffusion of a basic income
The above topics are not intended to limit the boundaries, but to set as references for a broader discussion. We invite all interested individuals and groups to participate. Those who want to present should submit abstracts (up to 300 words in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 31st 2017.
Invited keynote speakers include:
Evelyn L. Forget (Canada)
Elizabeth Rhodes (Oakland experiment- USA)
Sara Bizarro (Portugal)
Louise Haagh (United Kingdom)
Ingrid Robeyns (the Netherlands)
Philippe van Parijs (Belgium)
Joe Huston (GiveDirectly- USA)
Jurgen De Wispelaere (Finland)
Guy Standing (United Kingdom)
Yanis Varoufakis (Greece) – TBC
Registration fees include: admission to all of the congress sessions, the congress proceedings and coffee breaks.
- Regular Fee: 120 €
- Solidarity Fee: 160 €
- Reduced Fee (students and people unemployed): 80 €
Online registration TBA soon.
Portugal Basic Income Week
Portugal Basic Income Week will be held along with the 17th BIEN congress. We also invite all interested individuals and groups to participate in this event which will be comprised of concerts, film-screenings, performances and campaigns. Those who want to give proposals for Basic Income Week should submit them to email@example.com by March 31st 2017.
Organization: Basic Income – Portugal
Local Organizing Committee of the 17th BIEN Congress, in Lisbon, Portugal:
Roberto Merrill (coordinator), Sara Bizarro, Lídia Martins, Mafalda Farmhouse, Graça Rojão, Sara Trindade, , André Coelho, Martim Avillez Figueiredo, Pedro Teixeira, Gonçalo Marcelo, Teresa Albuquerque.
Organizing Committee of the Basic Income week:
Press contact: Andreia Saavedra Cardoso (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Political Theory Group of the University of Minho
- Centre for Research in European, Economic, Financial and Tax Law (CIDEEFF)
- Portuguese Centre for Global History
- Y Combinator
- Crowdfunding campaign