General Assembly 2017
The 2017 General Assembly of the Basic Income Earth Network (BIEN) was held in two parts on Monday 25th September and Wednesday 27th September on the first and last days of the 17th International BIEN Congress. All life-members of BIEN were invited to attend.
Download the Minutes of the BIEN General Assembly 2017 (pdf file).
Note that the Affiliates report has been expanded since the GA.
See below for outlines of the meetings.
Basic Income Earth Network
Dates and times:
25th September 2017, 6:00 p.m.
27th September 2017, 5.30 p.m.
Venue: Lisbon School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
The agenda for the 2017 GA is downloadable in PDF format: GA agenda 2017. An outline follows:
- Opening of GA and welcome.
- Roll call and confirmation of membership.
- Approval of the rule-keeper.
- Approval of the agenda.
- Approval of the minutes of the 2016 GA.
- Matters arising from the minutes not elsewhere on the agenda.
- Executive Committee decision to change BIEN’s status from an International Non-profit-making Association registered in Belgium to a Charitable Incorporated Organisation registered in the United Kingdom. The GA is asked to ratify this decision and also the appointment of four additional trustees and a new treasurer (see GA agenda 2017 for details).
- Chair’s report.
- Treasurer’s and financial reports.
- Outreach and affiliates reports.
- News report.
- A proposal to amend the requirements for affiliation.
- Three proposals for affiliation received: Iceland, Malawi, World Basic Income.
- A proposal to change BIEN policy towards donations and membership fees.
- Elections for EC members: The Seoul GA asked the EC to study the possibility of an electronic ballot for the EC before the GA in Finland. The EC would like to recommend one year trial for the EC to be elected in 2018 (see GA agenda 2017 for details).
- Any suggestions from the working groups established during part I of the meeting.
- Venues for the 2019 and 2020 congresses (the 2018 Congress is in Finland from the 24th to the 26th August).
- Any other business.
- Close of meeting.
• Reports from BIEN’s task forces and affiliates prepared for the 2017 GA:
- Chair’s Report
- Treasurer’s Report (Financial relation for the period 17th October 2016 to 30th August 2017)
- Financial Report (income, expenditure, and balances)
- BIEN Outreach Annual Report
- BIEN Affiliates Report 2017 (Updated 11 October)
- Basic Income News Report