NEW BOOK: Call for authors for Palgrave Macmillan Basic Income handbook (edited by Malcolm Torry)
Malcolm Torry, Director of the UK-based Citizen’s Income Trust, Visiting Senior Fellow at the London School of Economics, and General Manager of BIEN, has signed a contract with the publisher Palgrave Macmillan to edit An International Handbook of Basic Income.
Torry is currently recruiting authors of each of the book’s chapters (listed below). The publisher has issued the following the call for authors:
Palgrave Macmillan is planning to publish An International Handbook on Basic Income, which it intends to be a definitive guide to the current state of the debate.
The editor, Dr. Malcolm Torry, is seeking chapter authors who will represent the best available scholarship from around the world.
A few of the chapters will be commissioned: but for most of them the editor is seeking expressions of interest.
If you would like to express an interest in writing one or more of the chapters then please contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with a CV and a list of publications on Basic Income. Bids for individual chapters from two or three authors from different parts of the world will be particularly welcome.
Dr. Torry will be at the BIEN Congress in Lisbon from the 25th to the 27th September, and he would very much welcome discussions with prospective authors or groups of authors.
The table of contents is as follows:
Part I: The concept of Basic Income
- The definition and characteristics of a Basic Income
- The history of Basic Income
- The anatomy of a global debate
Part II: The effects of Basic Income
- Employment market effects
- Social effects
- Economic effects
- Ecological effects
- Gender effects
Part III: Implementation of Basic Income
- The anatomy of a Basic Income scheme
- The administration of a Basic Income scheme
- Costings for Basic Income
- The framing of Basic Income
- The feasibility of Basic Income
- Alternatives to Basic Income
- The funding of Basic Income
- The implementation of a Basic Income scheme
- Objections to Basic Income
- An illustrative Basic Income scheme
Part IV: Pilot projects and other experiments
- Canada and the USA
- The Netherlands
Part V: The political economy of Basic Income
- Libertarian arguments for Basic Income
- Left wing arguments for Basic Income
- Neoliberal arguments for Basic Income
- Human rights arguments for Basic Income
- The justice of Basic Income
- The ethics of Basic Income
Blank book photo CC BY 2.0 kate hiscock